My “Superhuman Smoothie” Recipe — for extreme health
by Mike Geary – Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Nutrition Specialist
Author of best-seller: The Truth About 6-Pack Abs.
I’ve made this smoothie for some friends recently, and they joked that this was some sort of “superhuman smoothie” because it was so healthy, they hadn’t even heard of half of the ingredients before. They also said that it was not only incredibly delicious, but gave them insane amounts of energy.
I will warn you right off the bat… this could probably qualify as one of the healthiest smoothies on the planet, but based on the types of “exotic” ingredients, it’s definitely not cheap. But if you’re willing to invest in the highest quality food ingredients for your own “extreme health”, this smoothie can be part of your arsenal!
I’m also fully aware that some people in some areas of the country (or the world) may not have access to a health food store that has all of these ingredients. However, if you live near any major urban area in any modernized country, or even if you’re in a rural area but have access to a great health food store, you can find almost every ingredient.
I also firmly believe that the combination of SuperFood ingredients in this smoothie can really go a long way towards strengthening your immune system, giving you loads of energy, and also helping to burn body fat, build lean muscle, and control your appetite and cravings. There’s even some ingredients that can help boost libido, lower blood pressure, and more!
That’s why I said this smoothie was only if you wanted EXTREME HEALTH!
And if you remember one of my concepts I always preach is obtaining the highest micro-nutrient density possible per unit of calories… this smoothie would rank at the top in that category! It’s also insanely high in antioxidants.
The ”Superhuman Smoothie” Recipe for Extreme Health
Depending on your body size, the quantities in this recipe may actually be enough for 2 servings. In a blender, mix together:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (very low in sugar if you get the unsweetened variety)
- 1 cup coconut milk drink (if you can’t find the “coconut milk drink”, you can use 1/3 cup canned coconut milk with 2/3 cup water, since canned coconut milk is much thicker and creamier than “coconut milk drink”)
- 1 packet unsweetened frozen acai puree (you can find unsweetened acai frozen puree at many health food stores)
- A couple handfuls of frozen goji berries or other mixed berries (I’ve found frozen goji berries at Whole Foods stores… don’t use dried goji berries as they’ll make big chunks in your smoothie. The frozen goji berries taste better too. You can read more about the superfood status of goji berries here)
- A small handful of frozen spinach
- 1 packet of stevia (a natural non-caloric sweetener I like to use since I’m strictly against the use of artificial sweeteners)
- 2 teaspoons of chia seeds (one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat…loaded with rare antioxidants, soluble fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, and super high in omega-3′s)
- 2 teaspoons of hemp seeds (significant amounts of zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and other minerals, as well as a high quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids)
- 1 scoop of Boku Superfoods powder (this stuff has to be the most amazing SuperFood mixture I’ve found yet!)
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder (good source of unique antioxidants, tons of B-vitamins, carotenoids, protein, and strengthens the immune system)
- 2 teaspoons of raw cacao nibs (one of the highest antioxidant foods available; can help reduce blood pressure and improve overall cardiovascular function)
- 1 teaspoon of raw organic cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of raw Maca powder (nutrient-rich, made from a south american root; purported to help increase libido; adaptogen that can help the body deal with stress)
- 1 scoop of chocolate Raw Grass-fed whey protein (this is one of the only truly RAW and grass-fed whey proteins I’ve found)
- 1 tablespoon of raw almond butter
Blend all the ingredients until thick and smooth. I add the powdered ingredients after the blender is already running so that they mix easier.
This smoothie is so powerfully healthy for your body, you’ll notice a consistent “super-energy” throughout the day without spikes and crashes if you start each day with one of these. Also, if you consciously think about how nutritious this smoothie is, your body will actually get even better results, because of the power of the mind (placebo effect).
Check out this video